Friday, December 23, 2016

Celiac Disease

Today my doctor called to confirm that I have celiac disease. I have been battling an illness since August.  It started with a bacterial infection that went undiagnosed for several weeks and then after starting antibiotics it took two rounds to beat it.  After I was tested and in the clear for the bacteria, my symptoms persisted.  I had lost 15 pounds and was very low on energy.  After many visits to my primary care doctor I was finally referred to the GI and had my appointment last Friday.  I got a call on Tuesday w/ the results that I was showing the TTG IgA Ab (antibody for gluten) at 250+ U/mL when normal is 0-14.0 U/mL. He scheduled me for an endoscopy the very next day as a biopsy of the small intestine is needed to confirm celiac disease.  As I was being rolled out of the procedure he said based on what he saw, he was pretty sure that I have it and to start eating gluten free right away. I got a call today w/ the biopsy results confirming the diagnosis and I'm on day 3 of my new gluten free diet.

I have never followed a diet before and I am very used to grabbing something quick on the go and eating lots of sweets, especially at night.  While I am bummed not to be able to enjoy any foods I want, I am so happy to finally know what was causing me to be sick.  I likely have been impacted by celiac disease for much longer than August (symptoms aren't always easy to pinpoint) and I look forward to feeling healthy again!  In just a few days, I am already seeing some improvement.  The doctor said it may take three months to a year for my intestines to heal.

It is genetic so I took the kids to get blood draws today. I am really hoping they do not have it. We will need to keep our eye out for signs as it can develop at any age.  Enough blogging - I have research to do!

My sweet Nate (the best chef in the family) making me a delicious gluten free soup - lemon chicken with cauliflower rice. 

No comments: