Wednesday, July 26, 2017

IronMan Lake Placid

Eleven months ago my mom told me the family was going to Lake Placid to watch my brother Andy and Uncle Phil do the IronMan. 3 days later, I signed up as well, having never done a triathlon. I've always been a runner but had a lot to learn for the swim and bike this past year. After a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride and 26.2 mile run in Lake Placid on Sunday - I am an IronMan! This was an awesome journey and I couldn't have done it without the amazing support of family and friends!

We had 25 family members there supporting us and it was awesome to spend the week leading up to the big event with them. The kids had a blast playing with their Kieffer cousins and their second cousins the Kanes! And the kids all completed the IronKids race on Friday!  So cool!

Here are some of the highlights from the professional photos:

The swim was the thing I was the most nervous about so I was sure happy when I finished the 2.4 mile swim! See that buff guy in the background? When I came out of the water I gave him a high five and said "We are going to be IronMen today!"

What an honor to be on the 112 mile bike course! I kept shouting to other athletes-we are going to be Ironmen Today-woohoo!  The course has one of the highest elevation gains of the IronMan courses and most of the hills were towards the end of each loop.  By the time I was done, I didn't want to see my bike again!


I have always been a runner so I felt at home on the marathon, though it sure was tough to run 26.2 miles after the long swim and bike. I ran solid for the first 16 miles and then I did a mix of running and walking. It was during this time that I met a lot of other athletes and I loved getting to know them and powering through together. 

"Meg Iyer, you are an IronMan!" After 14 hours and 36 minutes, I did it!! This was an amazing journey. (1:35:44 swim, 7:35:23 bike, 5:07:38 run)


Here are some photos the family took:

Andy, Meg & Phil
The soon-to-be IronMen at 4:30am on race day!


Mom-our support crew leader

Mom and past IronMan cousin Brian with us before the start.

The Kieffer kids - Joey was an awesome fan!


The trio about to start the IronMan!

wetsuit strippers!


Going by the family after the first loop!


Uncle Andy on the run



Uncle Joey and the family heckling/supporting me with 2.2 miles to go until I am an IronMan!






Andy knows how to work the crowd - best IronMan finish of Lake Placid!


Uncle Phil looking amazing after he finished! This was his second time finishing IronMan Lake Placid! Our hero!




Here are some photos of our week in Lake Placid:

Scary tiny plane from Boston to Lake Placid!

Kieffer cousins-all born in 2008

They boys w/ cousin Colin

Whiteface Lodge is the best! We were all together here 2 years ago for Kate and Tim's wedding - so great to go back!

Ri and Cam

Uncle Joey



IMLP gave all the first time competitors this "I will become one" bracelet to wear. 

Not what you want to see when you pick up your bike-but I got it fixed in time!






sand castles with Kieran


The IronKids run! Way to go Sadie, Nate, Colin, Ben, Cameron, Riley and Leyah!

Nate

Ben

Cam, Ri, Sades


Watching Descendants Two on Disney - the movie of the summer!

Uncle Phil giving the newcomers some tips

Yippee-the Kane cousins arrived on Friday!


A sign the kids made us and presented the night before the race!

The day after the race!

No comments: